Before you get to know of how to regrow hair after chemotherapy, you should at least know what occurred behind this. Chemotherapy is the healing process of cancer with an antineoplastic drug or with a combination of such drugs into a standardized treatment procedure. The easier meaning to understand this is that chemotherapy (chemo) is the use of medicines or drugs to treat cancer. The way of this treatment goes is by killing cells that split quickly. The cells include cells in the bone, marrow, digestive tract and follicles. One of the most regular side effects of chemotherapy is andalopecia or is usually called hair loss.
The vast loss is caused by the medications that exterminate fast dividing cells. Thinner hair is also the result of other medications. However, the effects are temporary. It typically will start to grow back in some weeks after the ultimate treatment, and sometimes the new one tend to curl which is called a “chemo perm”. Besides, the damaged follicles from the chemo could result indifferent color and texture of it from the previous condition before chemo. Another worse effect is that the eyebrows and eyelashes also could fall out for several years at regular intervals. Some of you might not believe how this effect could happen, however this information is useful for you to prepare in case you experience this.
How to regrow hair after chemo could be the question for the layman who never endures the disease before. In fact, it for the patients is normal as long as they run the therapy. The use of chemotherapy medicines affects the roots and shaft pattern. Since the effects of the drugs in your body system still exist after chemo, the hair needs some time to pull through as the toxins disappear. The first new one which could be curly or even fine might be trimmed away while it grows over the next six to twelve months after treatment.
Actually the answer of how to regrow hair after chemotherapy is none. The hair will grow by itself naturally, and the speed of hair development is different among the patients. Therefore, to support the growth you’d better do special cares for better hair. Here are the tips to maintain the growth well after the treatment.
• You should be patient to wait. It takes between two weeks and three months for the hair to grow back in post chemotherapy. Usually, the hair which falls out first will grow back earliest.
• You have to take care of the beginning period when your hair begins to grow again. As the hair might be very delicate and fragile in the beginning.
• You could start washing your hair by a very mild shampoo like baby shampoo or damaged products. Some massage to your scalp should be given while shampooing your chemo curls in order to enhance the blood circulation and remove any dry and flaky skin. Since your scalp might be still soft, you should avoid using very hot water. For the better care, you could follow the rinsing by giving the conditioner.
• Drying out your hair, you are not recommended to use hair dryer. You could only dry it by blotting with a thick towel.
• Comb your new hair gently to avoid your hair breaking.
• Don’t use hair straightening irons as it could burn your mild scalp.
• Use styling products that offer a light hold as they are easy to wash. Products with water-based ingredient are safety for your hair. The American Hair Loss Council states that some products of hair styling potentially inflame the scalp, trigger pile up on the hair and bring about infections on the scalp. To solve this problem, you have to wash your hair often.
• Prevent to run extreme styling treatments such as hair dye or perming.
• Using minoxidil (Rogaine) is able to accelerate hair growth after chemo.
• To cover a spotty hair growth, you could wrap your head by a scarf or put hair clips.
• Have your hair trimmed in hair salon when it grows unevenly. It could make your hair look better.
Having known such above enlightenment, you should not be afraid of chemotherapy and having no idea of how to regrow it after it is ended. You will get your hair back or even better condition than before you take this therapy naturally. Even though you could get back the normal hair effortlessly, you still have to maintain it for getting such healthy and beautiful hair. If you love yourself, you should care your body.